By Lilly Zeller
Third Sector Awareness
We’ve said “bienvenido” to the New Year! Many Latinos, especially Puerto Ricans are still in celebratory mode with the “octavitas”. Within this celebratory mode, let us not forget the many needs and causes that exist.
During 2013, we want to help create more awareness to a variety of causes, not just the most talked about ones. Unless we have a certain condition or diagnosis, or know someone close to us who happens to be affected by any given cause, we would not even think about it.
Let’s start this new year 2013 with a different approach and knowledge. We believe that we can make a difference and contribute to expanding the knowledge and getting more people involved to be volunteers with these causes.
Let’s do it, share the information with as many people we can, and get involved with the cause of our choice.
These are the main awareness causes celebrated during the month of JANUARY:
• Cataract Awareness Month
• Celebration of Life Month
• Cervical Cancer Awareness Month
• Crime Awareness Month
• Eye Care Month
• Folic Acid Awareness Month
• International Quality of Life Month
• National Birth Defects Prevention Awareness Month
• National Blood Donor Month
• National Child Centered Divorce Awareness Month
• National Glaucoma Awareness Month
• National Mentoring Month
• National Poverty in America Awareness Month
• National Volunteer Blood Donor Month
• Poison Prevention Month
• Thyroid Diseases Awareness Month
Let us not forget those affected by the storm “Sandy”, who are still working towards some sense of normalcy.
Please remember, you can see what colors are represented with each cause, by visiting www.thirdsectorawareness.com and click on the color or cause of your choice.
Latina Lista contributor Lilly Zeller is based in Puerto Rico where she represents the interests of the Third Sector via websites — Talking about Philanthropy and Third Sector Awareness. She can be reached at email@example.com.