+ ++ New site helps makes breast disease understandable to its victims | Latina Lista

New site helps makes breast disease understandable to its victims

New site helps makes breast disease understandable to its victims

LatinaLista -- Breast cancer has one of the highest rates of awareness among women but is still one of the least understood diseases.


That realization hit Houston-based Dr. J.B. Askew, Jr., a pathologist specialized in breast pathology, during a Q & A session with attendees at some community classes he was speaking to regarding breast cancer and breast disease.

"I was astonished by the number and level of questions about the pathology report that I received from breast cancer and benign breast disease patients in the audience," Dr. Askew said. "I realized that something very important was missing in the understanding of these women. They needed an explanation of how their diagnosis was determined, not in clinical language, but in terms that they could understand -- and the significance to them personally of the information in the pathology report."

Dr. Askew knew that if women in these classes had questions then women everywhere might. To help make sense of a breast disease diagnosis in everyday language, Dr. Askew created the web site Breastpath.

At Breastpath, visitors receive a complete explanation of what a traditional pathology report is; responses to a list of frequently asked questions; images of cells found in various levels of breast cancer; articles written by guest medical professionals; and a list of recommended books on the subject.

Dr. Askew also offers free consultations for people who have questions about their pathology reports.

While informative and thorough, the site also strives to reassure visitors by reminding that 80 percent of breast disease is actually benign. For the other 20 percent who do have breast disease, the site attempts to provide all the information a person needs to know with what's going on in their bodies and share with them the kind of terms they will hear used by their doctors so they can participate fully in their treatment and get back on a healthy path.

Click to add a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply


More in Health


Study discovers how big an impact Latino siblings have on one another

Latina ListaOctober 6, 2015
Screen Shot 2015-07-09 at 4.39.01 PM

New report reveals more girls of color in juvenile justice system victims of sexual abuse

Latina ListaJuly 9, 2015

Organizations band together to set the record straight on eating disorders

Latina ListaMay 19, 2015

Pediatrician helps Latino parents understand importance of vaccines

Latina ListaMarch 19, 2015

New study reveals Latino boys affected most often by muscular dystrophy than white or African American boys

Latina ListaFebruary 18, 2015

Coalition launches bilingual site to end the silence in Latino community about sex ed, birth control and teen parenting

Latina ListaDecember 19, 2014

Latino chef on mission to sweeten diets — without the sugar

Latina ListaDecember 8, 2014

Another kind of “smart pad” strives to keep women healthy and in-the-know about their bodies

Latina ListaNovember 26, 2014

CDC – Whooping Cough Cases on the Rise

Latina ListaOctober 6, 2014